Saturday 27 July 2019

Never too late

It’s never too late to be what you might have been
The heading above is attributed to that pioneering and most humane of writers, George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans by birth) who wrote the marvellous Middlemarch (mentioned in Small Acts of Kindness.) I identify with the quotation in my retirement since my life as a teacher seems to be decades ago, now that I spend a good deal of my time writing about another planet in a fictional future. Even if I’m never published, the craft of writing is an energising activity and fills my imagination with adventures and wonder. In July it was Emily’s birthday. My eldest daughter has recently taken a bold step to change her life and retrain to work as a nurse in the NHS. The year has been filled with surprises. Politically, public discourse may feel toxic, but personally life is sweet. Long may sweet continue. Never too late.
A surprise or two in 2019....



No comments:

Post a Comment