Saturday 14 December 2019

No Excuses Now

I hope Tory Voters are right
I hope the new government will turn the UK into a huge post-Brexit success. WHAT DID THE TORY MANIFESTO PROMISE?
  • Get Brexit Done
  • Take measures to reverse the climate emergency
  • Protect and enhance the NHS
  • Boost the Education Service
  • Improve the national Criminal Justice and Penal systems
  • Develop an immigration service appropriate to the 21st Century
  • Build enough social housing
  • Protect and enhance the lives of all vulnerable people
  • Unleash the potential of the UK’s forgotten towns with major investments
  • Improve our transport infrastructure
  • Protect jobs and human rights
  • Be taken seriously on the World Stage.
THAT’S WHAT THEY’VE PROMISED IN THEIR MANIFESTO. That’s (I hope) why TORY VOTERS voted for them because TORY VOTERS BELIEVE THIS WILL HAPPEN. I hope so too. Really hope so. I love the UK. I love its history, its culture, its countryside. I wish we had voted to remain aligned to Europe in the Referendum back in 2016 but we didn’t, so I have always thought that Brexit in some form should happen, despite my reservations about the honesty of the original exercise.

Well, the Tories have had three-and-a-half years to deliver Brexit. They haven’t – and for two of those years because of their own in-fighting – and NOW the country has voted to give the mendacious Boris Johnson a chance to Get Brexit Done. So, I watch with fascinated interest – and hope the Tory Voters are right – and within months the country regains its pride, strength and stability. Time will tell.

Right Left Divide
My final comfort is that (in the graphic below, with one result left to call):
  • the Right of Centre Vote Share (Con + Brx) = 45.6%
  • the Left of Centre Vote Share (Lab + LD + SNP + GRN) = 50.3%
with the rest made up of Northern Ireland parties and Independent individuals. If only a New Left Alliance could emerge from the ashes of the 2019 election…. a Rebel Alliance?

No comments:

Post a Comment