Saturday 22 June 2019

Fair and gracious daughter

Harriet's birthday in June
"Good morning to you, fair and gracious daughter"
Thus speaks the Duke in Measure for Measure to Isabella, sadly a complicated relationship riddled with ambiguities and power struggles in a play that over 400 years after it was written still causes an audience to gasp in shock at Me Too moments…. Thankfully no such complication exists between my youngest daughter and me whose spirit reminds me more of Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing:
There’s little of the melancholy element in her, my lord: she is never sad but when she sleeps; and not ever sad then; for I have heard my daughter say, she hath often dreamt of unhappiness, and waked herself with laughing.
Maybe Harriet’s not quite as deliriously optimistic as Beatrice, but she can certainly spin life’s twists and turns into a way forward, the next step, a target, a plan….
Cora being patient....



No comments:

Post a Comment