Monday 29 December 2014

The Best of Times, the Worst of Times....

As Mr Dickens wrote in the opening of his epic Tale of Two Cities

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way….
One of the best of times.... Come Dine With Me at home....

Becoming an orphan

I was bereaved earlier this year.  Having married in 1986 and therefore able to enjoy parents-in-law, my only remaining “parent-figure” died.  I have had to grow up.
  

Edward Patrick, Annie Elizabeth, Joyce Mary and Raymond

My own father died in 1985, my mother in 1995, my mother-in-law in 2000 and in February 2014 my father-in-law died.  I may blog about Eddie, Anne, Joyce and Ray in the future, but for the moment all I want to reflect on is how privileged I am that I have been able to retire early.  That’s a consequence of my father-in-law’s careful attention to saving up for the future of his daughters.  And a consequence of my good fortune in marrying one of Ray’s daughters.
Beloved brother, wife and sister

Boxing Day

And it was great to catch up with my siblings on Boxing Day at the Black Rock in Wakefield and compare life’s joys and bruises….
Beloved brother with family and niece

"Small cheer and great welcome makes a merry feast." - Balthasar from The Comedy of Errors
Beloved family members with two couples-to-be in the centre - two weddings to look forward to in 2015

My oldest brother enjoyed downtime abroad.
Beloved brother and partner in Madeira


Merry Christmas One And All....


No comments:

Post a Comment